Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Rose Garden in Jerusalem


Before I left for Israel, I read the book "The Little Prince." I had never read it before and wished after I finished the last page, that I could meet the little prince on his little planet.

Now, I feel like I am on a different planet.

Except, I feel at home here.

I was much too excited when I arrived in Jerusalem and found velvet pink, yellow and red roses at the BYU Center. It reminded me of the little prince.

In the book, the little prince talks to a rose garden about his own rose ...
"You're lovely, but you're empty ... One couldn't die for you. Of course an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than you altogether, since she's the one I've watered. Since she's the one I put under glass. Since she's the one I sheltered behind a screen. Since she's the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except for two or three for butterflies). Since's she the one I listened to when she complained, or when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she's my rose." (passage from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's "The Little Prince")

Here in Jerusalem, I have fallen in love.

With the land.

With the people.

Jerusalem is a rose, to me.


Me and Popcorn. Ok, ok her name really isn't Popcorn. This is my roommate Kaylie. I call her Popcorn as an endearing pet nickname. I christened her "Popcorn" because she pops her knuckles and spine and sternum ... (I didn't even know you could pop your sternum). We have too much fun shopping, eating Magnum bars and procrastinating our homework together.
Me, Mary, Kaylie and Jessica at Tel Aviv. The Mediterranean water is oh so lush and warm. I only wondered for a moment if the fish that swallowed Jonah was nearby.


I graffitied my name at the Jerusalem Center. Ok, everyone was allowed to ... but I still feel immortalized.
Apparently, they know me in Jerusalem.
I found Eeyore in Jerusalem. I intend to ride him home and keep as a pet.
Our Modern Near Eastern teacher told us to try his favorite restaurant Lina. We searched the Old City until we found the place. We tried the warm pita with humus ... and ordered seconds. We tried the fresh squeezed lemonade and our eyes burned.

After two weeks of falling in love with Jerusalem, they then swept us away to a different land ... Turkey.


Ok, ok. I know. I know. It is not a good idea to touch potentially diseased, sneezing, lice-infested cats on the cobblestone streets of Turkey. But let me explain.
This little kitten with three legs ran up to me.
He nuzzled my leg.
He meowed so sweetly.
So I couldn't resist. I scratched his little ear.
And then the kitten sneezed into my hand.
I delighted in the Turkish delight.
Desiree and Me as Greek Goddesses at Assos.
Katherine, Mattie and Me at yet another unbelievably picturesque place of Turkey.
Perhaps the most wonderful memory so far was dancing on the beach, around a bon fire, and getting sand in between our toes while dancing to J.B.
No, these are not Greek Goddesses (it is easy to get confused) ... Me, Mary, Kaylie, Jessica, and Robin.
We are about to take over Troy in our own Trojan horse. (Where's Waldo? Hint: I'm the white bead in the middle window).
I ate this fish's eye ... on a dare. It was like a squishy white bead. But I am not allowed to talk about how the eye tasted like diseased liver because it grosses Jessica out.
Proof I ate said squishy fish eye.
We have Magnum ice cream bar addictions. I think it is a healthy addiction. Double chocolate feeds my soul.
Sigh.
The world is so, so beautiful.
Back at the Jerusalem Center, dressed and ready for Arab night.
Marahaba! That's Arabic for hello.
Yes, Jerusalem is my rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment