Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Epithets To Describe Kimberly

Dear Notebook,

            Since I last blogged in you, so much has happened. I returned home from Jerusalem. I served a Spanish-speaking mission in Salt Lake City, Utah (no one but the heavens saw that one coming). And then I fell in love with Patrick (yes, that boy from 5 years ago). We got married on August 23, 2014 (again, the heavens helped that one along…I am eternally grateful for that).
Now, I am back and blogging for a school assignment. Typical. But this one is a fun assignment. Below, I need to write 4 epithets to introduce myself. This is the perfect assignment as I feel I need to reintroduce myself to my 9 followers (hi, mom!). So here it is…4 epithets to describe myself.

1.     Sappy Sentimental:
a.     I swoon over Hallmark sayings and think the perfect Christmas gift is an angel statue to hover above my bookcase. If the angel carries a little banner reading, “God loves you,” I may start weeping from sheer sentimentality. I am just a sentimental creature, who treasures memories. Yes, I have hoarded every gift my husband has ever given me (even a rock) and scowl at him when he says that I can throw the rock away.
2.     Blessed Bride:
a.     Just a few weeks ago, I married my husband, Patrick. We met 5 years ago and I never get tired of telling any listener our story. Our poor children will probably hear our story every night at bedtime…until they each turn 18 and can legally leave the house.
3.     Ironically Fearful:
a.     I refuse to drive a car on the freeway. When I do drive on road trips, my husband must calm me down from a hyperventilating attack about every 5 minutes and then redirect me from swerving into a bus. I do not like driving. I also once had to leave a haunted house early because I was too scared (I was 17 years old). And I think horror movies are of the devil. My motto is that it is better to watch a nice Disney film then to have the image of the girl from The Ring creeping into your room at night. Ironically, I love all adventures in the wild. I will go snake hunting or swim with sharks, but, please, do not tell me a scary story.
4.     Hopelessly Bookish:

a.     I love to smell books. I love to hold books in my hands and listen to how the pages turn (back to that whole sentimental thing). I love to lose myself in a story. Growing up, my mother gave up all hope of me going out to play with the other kids, if I was lost in a good book. I also love to write. The way words combine and the stories they can create is like magic, to me.

6 comments:

  1. I like that even though you will tear up at sentimental things, you can look at it in a humorous way! I am more the type to roll my eyes at the endless "Live, Laugh, Love" signs at Hobby Lobby and gag when Hallmark Channel movies come on. But my opinions are not absolute! I'm glad you are happy to have a sentimental attitude :)

    Although I love Halloween and happy spooky stuff, I'm totally with you on the horror movie thing. I would way rather watch Hocus Pocus on Halloween night than The Ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you posted on something that already has information about you. I really like that you are all throughout your blog. I loved the part about being ironically fearful, I think we all might have a little bit of irony in what we are afraid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed when I read about your attitudes toward driving. In my marriage I am the official designated driver - my wife hates driving on the freeway. I don't think she hates it as much as you, but I can still relate to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the whole "ironically fearful" thing. I think reptiles are super cool, but I could literally count on one hand the number of times I drove on the freeway for four years after I got my license (I've had to get used to it since then, unfortunately). And one of my friends made me watch The Ring with her. . . . I had images of the girl creeping into my room for about three weeks afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, totally lol'ed to "reintroduce myself to my 9 followers (hi mom!)"

    I'm definitely on board with #3 and #4. My brother-in-law, who is 17, can't get enough of scary things—no, the scariest things he can find. I have no idea how anyone can ENJOY being terrified. I'm already paranoid and sensitive anyway, so I too hate scary movies, haunted houses, and strangers on a dark street. I tore back every shower curtain and freaked out about fuzzy TVs for a few years after watching The Ring.

    And you read my spiel about books, so I'll spare you here. I'll just say that people shouldn't be afraid of the e-book taking over print books—there are plenty of people like us who will keep sniffing fresh pages until the end of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like these epithets! This husband of yours seems to be quite the catch. I really like the Hopelessly Bookish. Reading books is such a beautiful passion to have. It's amazing reading all of these stories about the Greeks that have lasted for hundreds and hundreds of years.

    ReplyDelete